Friday, December 8, 2017

The 411 on the Boater's Safety Certification

Whether you own your own boat or you're renting from the best watercraft rental company at the Lake of the Ozarks, all boat operators are required to successfully pass the Missouri Boater Education class and test. Safety is the foundation for a fun day out on the water. The Lake of the Ozarks best boat dealer has all the information you need to know to obtain your boater certification card. However, even if you are not required to obtain a boater certification card, it is never a bad idea to brush up on boating safety, especially if you have just purchased a new boat from Iguana Boat Sales.

Who is required to have a boat certification card?

The Missouri State Highway Patrol Water Patrol Division requires that any person born after January 1, 1984 must successfully complete a NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved boating education course before operating any motorized vessel on Missouri lakes (including rentals). The law went into effect for Missouri residents on January 1, 2005, and January 1, 2006, for non-Missouri residents. 

How do I get my boater certification?

First, you must take a NASBLA approved course. This includes courses administered by the Missouri State Highway Patrol - Water Patrol Division, US Coast Guard, US Power Squadrons and Boat-Ed (an online boater education website). The Water Patrol Division offers classes around the state of Missouri at various times and locations. To find class times and locations, visit

Who can take the boater education course?

Anyone wanting to operate a boat or personal watercraft should take a boater education course. There is no age limit on who can take the course, however, that person should be able to follow the course material and understand its meaning. Missouri law states that boat operators must be 14 years or older unless accompanied by an adult. Anyone born after January 1, 1984, also must carry their boater certification card and a photo ID. 

Is a boater education card needed to rent a boat/PWC?

Yes, the law applies to anyone operating the vessel whether it is owned or rented. 

Are old cards still valid?

Yes, old cardstock cards are still valid, however, it is recommended to laminate the card or place it in a waterproof container to keep it from getting wet. Please note, all records related to education courses prior to 1999 were purged. If you have lost your card and it was completed prior to 1999, it is required to take another course and purchase a new card. 

Safe Boating 

Although it is not boating season, now is the perfect time to brush up on your boating safety and complete the boating education courses, if you have not done so already. We love our customers and their safety is a priority for us. The best boat dealership at the Lake of the Ozarks recommends that everyone take education classes prior to purchasing and operating a boat. We want to make sure that when you purchase a boat from Iguana Boat Sales that you can enjoy it for years to comes, which means practicing safe boating and learning the rules of the water. 

Check out our Website:

4363 Osage Beach Parkway, Osage Beach, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment