Boating is a very popular activity at the Lake of the Ozarks. If you are out on the water often, it may have come across your mind to own your own boat. However, there are pros and cons to both renting and owning a boat. Iguana Boat Sales has listed these to help make your decision easier.
Pros of Renting a Boat
- No Commitment - If you have not decided if the boating lifestyle is for you, then this is the biggest advantage. Renting allows you to get your feet wet.
- No Regular Maintenance - Having regular maintenance on your boat could add up. In addition to no service maintenance, you won’t have to clean your boat after every use.
- Traveling is Easy - If you do not live near the Lake, renting may be for you. Enjoy time on the Lake without the hassle of trailers.
- No Storing Necessary - If you don’t have a place to store your boat at home, off-season storage can become quite an expense.
Cons of Renting a Boat
- No Feeling of Ownership - Although you have tested the waters with renting, you will never truly understand what it means to own your own boat since you return it when you’re done.
- Hauling Gear - Whether it’s water skis, fishing poles or anything else you take out on the boat, you will have to haul it in and out of the boat each trip. The more often you transport your items the greater the chance you have of breaking or losing them.
- Availability Issues - If you decide to take a last minute trip to the Lake, you may run into the issue of everything being rented out. This is especially true if you want to go out on busy weekends such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day.
Pros of Owning a Boat
- Never Having to Wait - If you want to go out on the water at the last minute, you can! You will never have to worry about availability.
- It’s Yours! - If you are into fishing or any other water activity, your boat can be the perfect fit for you. If you rent you are limited to their selection, which may not be a good fit for the activity you are wanting to do.
- Know the Condition - You know how well kept your boat is if you own it. You know when the last time it was serviced and checked. If you rent, you do not know this information. The last thing you want on your boating trip is to break down.
Cons to Owning a Boat
- Maintenance - Maintenance on a boat can be time consuming and expensive.
- Storage - During the off season, you will need to be able to store the boat and that’s just one more expense.
Buy Your Next Boat at Iguana Boat Sales
Buying a boat is a big decision. There are many different types of boats to choose from to fit any lifestyle. Whether you’ve decided to rent or buy a boat, Iguana is here to help! If you’ve decided to stick with renting, check out our rental selection at IguanaWatersports.com. When you decide it’s time to buy a boat, find one to suit your needs at the largest boat dealer at the Lake of the Ozarks. Iguana Boat Sales has selected the best boat brands to offer you the right combination of price, quality and value. Visit our show room in Osage Beach or visit our website to see what boats we have in stock.