When you decide to purchase a boat from the premiere boat dealer at the Lake of the Ozarks, there are a few questions that usually come to mind. One of those questions could be ‘should I buy a new or pre-owned boat?’ That’s a tough question to answer, especially for a first-time boat buyer, so Iguana Boat Sales has put together a list of some advantages and disadvantages of buying new vs. used boats.
Advantages to Buying New
- You can buy exactly what you want. When buying a new boat, you have the option of the design, style, features and gears. For the most part, you can choose what layout, extras, upholstery colors and, even on some boats, you can choose the hull color you want.
- You’ll have the manufacturer’s warranty. Just like with cars, boats will occasionally break down or have issues. If anything does go wrong, you are entitled to all the warranty coverage and manufacturer’s support.
- When buying a new boat at the largest boat dealer at the Lake of the Ozarks, you will have support, not just when you buy the boat, but throughout the years of ownership.
Disadvantages to Buying New
- The biggest disadvantage to buying a new boat is cost. Similar used boats could be cheaper than the new versions.
- Unless you are buying a stock boat, you may have to wait for your boat to be built, shipped and delivered.
- Depreciation is also a big disadvantage to buying a new boat. Similar to buying a car, the minute you purchase it, it becomes “used,” and therefore the value drops significantly.
Advantages to Buying Used
- Buying a used boat is much cheaper than buying a new boat. The previous owners would have covered the depreciation cost, meaning you are buying the boat at a lower price. Sometimes with pre-owned boats, the seller is willing to trade for their boat.
- Any initial issues in the boat or motor have likely been dealt with, although you may hire a marine surveyor, to look over the boat prior to purchase.
- When buying a used boat, you are looking at the exact boat you are purchasing, which means any test drive will be on the boat you’ll potentially own. Also, you do not have to wait to own it, you could theoretically take it out on the water the day you buy it.
Disadvantages to Buying Used
- Used boats may require more maintenance. Even with a good survey, there could possibly be unforeseen problems. In addition, the older a boat is, the more general wear and tear it will have.
- Often times used boats do not come with warranties or service support. However, Iguana Boat Sales does have a service department if anything does go wrong with the pre-owned or brokerage boat you bought.
- You may not know the full history of the boat. If you are buying a used boat from anyone other than the first owner, then it is possible that something has happened to the boat that the current owner doesn’t know about.
Buy Your New or Used Boat at Iguana Boat Sales!
When buying a boat at the Lake of the Ozarks, choose the boat that fits your lifestyle the best. Whether it is pre-owned or new, Iguana Boat Sales has selected some of the best boat brands to offer you the right combination of price, quality and value. We are the largest boat dealer at the Lake of the Ozarks selling new and pre-owned boats. Visit our showroom in Osage Beach to check out our current inventory.
Check out our Website:
4363 Osage Beach Parkway, Osage Beach, MO